- On behalf of Tim Hortons Restaurant Owners (“Restaurant Owners”) by whom the Team Tim Hortons Scholarship Program (the “Program”) is funded, Tim Hortons Advertising and Promotion Fund (Canada) Inc. (“Ad Fund”) will be providing a total of 200 scholarships in Canada ($1,000 CDN each) and Tim’s National Advertising Program Inc. (“TNAP”) will be providing a total of 20 scholarships in the United States ($1,000 USD each) (Restaurant Owners, Ad Fund and TNAP are collectively “Tim Hortons”). There may also be local scholarships available, with the quantity and amount available varying from year to year.
The Program is open to all eligible Tim Hortons Restaurant Team Members, as well as the children or grandchildren (biological, step or adopted) of Tim Hortons Restaurant Team Members. Immediate family members (children, grandchildren, siblings, spouses, etc.) of Restaurant Owners or employees of Ad Fund, TNAP, subsidiaries, affiliates and parents of Ad Fund an TNAP, PRgoram Administrator and respective representatives, agents, advertising and promotional agencies of the foregoing entities are not eligible for the Team Tim Hortons Scholarship.
- Applications will be accepted between February 25, 2015, 11:59 am EST and April 9, 2015, 11:59 pm EST
Basic Eligibility Criteria
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada or the United States depending on the country the applicant or qualifying relative resides in.
- Must be a Tim Hortons Team Member or the child or grandchild (biological, step or adopted) of a Team Member meeting the employment eligibility criteria for the program*.
- Must receive acceptance to attend an accredited and registered post-secondary school for part time or full time studies within the scholarship year, February 1, 2015 – February 1, 2016.
- Must have completed 15 hours of volunteering/community service/community leadership between April 12, 2014 and April 9, 2015. Please note: only 15 hours are required; hours over and above this number will not increase an applicant’s chances of receiving a scholarship.
- The applicant or qualifying relative must be employed at a Tim Hortons Restaurant at the time the scholarship cheque is awarded to the recipient by the Restaurant Owner. All scholarship cheques should be awarded by August 1, 2015.
*Employment Eligibility Criteria
Applicant or qualifying relative must also meet one of the two following employment categories:
Regular Full-time or Part-time Employment:
- 3 continuous months of employment with the same Restaurant Owner prior to the application deadline (i.e. must have been employed by January 9, 2015).
- Worked a minimum average of 2 shifts per week for the same Restaurant Owner over the past 3 months (prior to the application deadline) and continue to work a minimum average of 2 shifts per week for the same Restaurant Owner until the 2015 scholarship cheque is awarded.
Year-over-year Summer Employment:
- Must have been employed by the same Restaurant Owner for the duration of the previous summer and the upcoming summer (June 1 through August 31) for a total of 2 consecutive summers.
- Must work a minimum average of 4 shifts per week for the same Restaurant Owner during each summer.
Applicants may re-qualify each year if all eligibility criteria are met; however, applications must be re-submitted every year. Individuals may not receive a Team Tim Hortons Scholarship more than 5 times. The probability of receiving a scholarship will vary from year to year depending on the number of applicants and the quality of those applicants.
Eligibility criteria will be verified by the applicant’s/qualifying relative’s Restaurant Owner.
Application Requirements and Evaluation Criteria
- Applicants must show that they have performed 15 hours of volunteerism/community service/community leadership between April 12, 2014 and April 9, 2015 in order to qualify. These hours may be verified by a third party. Volunteerism, community service and community leadership are defined as activities for which an individual does not receive monetary compensation for their time and effort on behalf of an organization, Tim Hortons Restaurant or community event.
- Applicants must complete an original essay of 500 words or less, based on a predetermined question outlined in the scholarship application. Essays are evaluated using a pre-determined marking system based on:
- Spelling and grammar (20%)
- Structure and flow (20%)
- Quality of content and creativity (60%)
- Applicants must complete a short written summary of 100 words or less, about themselves.
- Applications for the Program must be submitted by filling out an online application on the Scholarship website (http://scholarship.timhortons.com). Applications submitted via other modes of communication (e.g. fax, mail) will not be accepted.
- yconic (the “Program Administrator”) is responsible for all applicant screening and selection. yconic mailing address: 2190 yonge street, 3rd floor, Toronto, ON, M4S 2B8
- Recipients (and in the case of minors, a parent or legal guardian) will be required to sign a Declaration of Compliance and Release of Liability before being awarded a scholarship. The signed declaration will include the recipient's consent to the use of their name, city and province/territory/state of residence and photograph, without further compensation, in any publicity carried out by Tim Hortons relative to this competition.
- A limit of one (1) application is permitted to be submitted per applicant. In the case that more than one application is submitted, the most recent version will be taken into evaluation.
- Tim Hortons is administering the Program on behalf of Tim Hortons Restaurant Owners by whom the Program is funded. Tim Hortons has final and binding discretion to decide all questions respecting the awarding of scholarships, as well as the Program itself, its administration and its terms.
- All application information must be found by, the Program Administrator, to be true, accurate, and complete and meet all Team Tim Hortons Scholarship Program eligibility requirements. The provision of false information may render the applicant ineligible for this scholarship.
- There are a total of 220 scholarships (200 in Canada and 20 in the United States) each valued at $1,000 CDN/USD. In Canada, the number of scholarships awarded in each province reflects the approximate number of Restaurants in each respective province, and will fluctuate from time to time depending on Restaurant growth and/or application submission rates. There may also be local scholarships available, with the quantity and amount available varying from year to year.
- Scholarship Recipients will be notified by their Restaurant Owner. A notification email will be sent to all applicants that were not selected for a scholarship. This email will be sent to the email address submitted on their applications.
- Cheques will be made out to the recipients’ educational institution. It is the responsibility of the recipient to present the cheque to their educational institution. Cheques must be cashed by the educational institution no later than December 15th, 2015. After this date, no requests for re-issued cheques will be granted as the 2015 Team Tim Hortons Scholarship Program will be closed.
- Tim Hortons administering the Program on behalf of Tim Hortons Restaurant Owners by whom the Program is funded. For income tax purposes, all Canadian resident scholarship recipients will receive a T4A from Tim Hortons. A Form 1099-MISC is not required for scholarships that are granted to U.S. recipients. Scholarships may be taxable and reportable by U.S. recipients under certain circumstances. Each recipient should separately evaluate their individual circumstances to determine whether the scholarship payment should be included in taxable income in the U.S.
- If a recipient does not fulfill the eligibility criteria and is thus unable to receive their scholarship, the scholarship will be awarded to the next runner up in the respective region.
- Scholarships are non-transferable, and cannot be deferred.
A note on deadlines
All applications must be received by 11:59 pm (EST), April 9, 2015. Applications must be submitted by completing the online application form accessed through the Program website (http://scholarship.timhortons.com). Applications must be completed by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of application. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. All mandatory fields must be completed. No photocopied, computer generated facsimiles, mechanically reproduced, or mass entries permitted. Tim Hortons is not responsible for any online communication problems, nor for any late, lost, misdirected, illegible or incomplete applications, which will be void.
Consent to Use
- By submitting a scholarship application, applicants consent to Tim Hortons’ use, should they become a recipient, of their name, place of residence and photograph or other likeness, without further compensation or notice, for publicity, advertising or informational purposes in any media or format (including the Internet) in connection with this Program or future similar programs. If the recipient is a minor, the recipient’s parent or legal guardian must give such consent. By applying, the applicant declares that they have complied with the Official Program Rules and Regulations. All entries become the property of Tim Hortons and will not be returned to applicants.
- Any personal information that you provide to Tim Hortons in relation to the scholarships will be used solely for (1) the administration of the Program and (2) media releases and other public relations materials in relation to the promotion of the scholarship program. Tim Hortons (i) does not sell your personal information to third parties, (ii) stores it in a secure manner, and (iii) destroys it once it is no longer needed for the purposes of the Program. By completing the application, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for those purposes. If you are selected for a scholarship, then you will also be required to consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for the above purposes.
General Terms and Conditions
- Applicants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and by all decisions of Tim Hortons, which are final and without appeal in all matters pertaining to the Program. Program is subject to all applicable laws. All taxes, fees, and surcharges on scholarships are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Return of any award/award notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate recipient. By entering, participants release and hold harmless Tim Hortons, their franchisees, their affiliated and related companies and advertising, promotion agencies and all of their respective directors, officers, shareholders, employees, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Program Entities”) from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the Program or any award won. Recipients will be required to sign and return, within the time period indicated on the documents, a Declaration of Compliance with Program Rules and a full Liability and Publicity Release.
- Tim Hortons reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that it finds or believes to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Program; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
- ANY ATTEMPT BY AN APPLICANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROGRAM IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, TIM HORTONS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH CONTESTANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Limitations of Liability
Without limiting the release in the paragraph above, and for greater certainty, Tim Hortons will not be liable for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Tim Hortons or its agents or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Program, or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of entries in the Program. Tim Hortons will not be liable for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or delay in operation or transmission in connection with the Program, or communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Tim Hortons will not be liable for any problems with, or technical malfunction of, any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, or failure of e-mail which may occur for any reason whatsoever, including technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or combination thereof, including injury or damage to a participant’s or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Program. If, for any reason, the Program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of Tim Hortons which corrupt or affect the administration, security or proper conduct of this Program, Tim Hortons reserves the right at their sole discretion, without advance notice, to terminate or suspend the Program, in whole or in part, or modify it in any way. In no event will Tim Hortons be liable for any incidental, consequential, special or indirect damages even if Tim Hortons has been advised of the possibility of such damages.